This awesome dog toy might take a bit of prep work, but the result is a great toy that will last your dog more than an hour before you find it in shreds!
Step 1: What You’ll Need
- Hemp or jute rope (I used 9 pieces of a thin-ish diameter braided together to make a larger rope. Approximately 2 1/2 feet works well for medium dogs, less is needed for a toy for a smaller dog and more for a larger dog)1
- Sweet potatoes or yams (2 for a medium-sized dog toy, one for a smaller one and 3 or 4 for a larger-sized toy)2
- Sheet pan and parchment or foil
- Sharp knife
- Round cookie cutter a bit larger than the diameter of your rope
- Vegetable peeler (optional)
1Hemp and jute rope are used here because they’re super strong and durable, and also because if Molly managed to eat some of it, it was much less likely to cause any of the issues that ingesting a synthetic rope would.
2Sweet potatoes and yams are awesome for dogs as well as people. Dogs seem to love to chew them, and when they eat them they’re also getting a big dose of nutrients.
Step 2: Potato Prep!
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash your sweet potatoes really well (you can peel them if you want, but I just leave the peel on)
- Slice the sweet potato into rounds approximately 1/2″ thick
- Using the cookie cutter, remove the center of each round1
1Give your pup some extra love by boiling these little cutout portions up and mashing them — this is a great and easy way to get your dog to take medicines they might otherwise refuse (or you can add a little maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon and gobble them up yourself!). You can also dry these bits alongside the rings and give them to your canine friend as treats.
Step 3: Bake ‘Em Up
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 2 1/2 hours
- Flip and bake for another 2 1/2 hours
- When they’re done they should be totally dried out and hard – if there are any squishy bits, bake longer and keep checking every 30 minutes or so
- Once they’re totally dry, allow to cool fully
Step 4: Lots of Knots
- Make a knot in the end of your hemp rope
- If using multiple thinner pieces, braid them together to make stringing the pieces on easier
- String on two sweet potato rings and make a knot above them
- Add two more rings and knot
- Repeat until you reach the end of your rope
- Give this awesome new toy to your canine companion!
This toy goes along with our Pet Tip #9. Read all of our dog care tips here.
SRC: Find step-by-step photos here: www.instructables.com/id/Indestructible-Dog-Toy/?ALLSTEPS